Local issues

In the morning I went to meet some clients in Vamos to go with them to discuss their project with their lawyer. While I was waiting I was approached by several Greek people discussing the proposed "Foreign Cemetery" One of them tried to sell me a suitable plot!
This is an issue that has been ongoing for some time, the local council has no problems with it, nor the Greek Church. It has the blessing of the Archbishop of Crete "Irenaios" who in fact was in charge of the Orthodox church in Bristol some years ago. The problem seems to be a detail in the Greek constitution which is causing the hold up.  Some of the Greek people I spoke to  thought it was a crematorium that had been proposed, which is a different issue - cremation being against the beliefs of the Orthodox church. I explained as best I could and the outcome was positive amongst the local population.
 During the day I was delighted by the number of Greek people - most of whom I had never seen before in my life - who came up to me to congratulate me and told me they had voted for me. It was also evident over the last two weeks how welcoming and pleased the local people were to see the Non-Greeks taking part in the local elections. - After all, as they pointed out, the new deputy mayor of Vienna is a Greek woman.
In the afternoon I went down to a local supermarket where the owner had asked me to come to look at some catalogues of British products to advise which ones I thought would sell well in the shop. As it happens she was not there so I picked up my shopping, including some PG tips, and arranged to return next week. That reminds me I must ask her if she can order sweet potatoes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brian and Andrew

The Old Bakery at Georgioupolis ( and more work in the square!)

Back!